Nicks brakes were driving us crazy
either they were rubbing the rims or so spongy they didn't work
well, so we spent and hour changing the lower cable configuration,
in this first pic you can see the overall view of how it looks
after we changed it, basically moving the finishing point for the
top cable up the tube to the first holder, then using a piece of
old inner cable we made a long lower section without the skin
which reduces friction even more. A lot of newer bikes are using
this setup and some even cross the cable where it passes the
frame, of course we can do this easily as well once we get some
guides for the cable to rub on but we may not as it will only
cause friction again.
The second close shot below shows
we moved the cable hook in front of the frame tube so instead of
through the tube it goes around, doing this allowed us to cut the
cable outer right back up to the top cable guide as shown in the
pic above, this combined with going around the frame reduced
friction so much the brakes worked 100% better immediately.
I realise this is a simple mod
for experienced riders but its a start and we welcome any tips and
tricks to get your bike working better, send them in to us please.
Also when working on your brakes be sure all nuts and bolts are
tightened properly when finished, get a friend or parent to check
them over for you.
In this shot above and below you
can see we used the cable adjuster that once went through the
frame onto the top guide, it fits nicely and makes a good holder
for the now very short top cable outer. You can just see the top
cable splitter in the photo above and to the right.
We were finding we had to have
the springs on his brakes really tensioned to get the brakes to
release, now after this modification we were able to run the
springs at a very low tension and this in turn means you need less
force to pull the brake lever, don't forget when your working on
the brakes to check the brake arms on the 9/90 mounts move easily,
if they don't take them off and clean the mounts with a green
scourer, don't use sandpaper if you can help it, you only need to
polish off the rust.